Today's NC Political News briefs

Today's NC Political News briefs

Prison closure, community college leadership and workforce funding lead state government briefs

Several state government items this week touch on prison operations, community college leadership, health care workforce training, rural electric infrastructure, coastal fisheries rules and state tax enforcement. The items are not all major standalone stories, but each has policy, budget, workforce or accountability implications for North Carolina residents.

Adult Correction begins closure process for Craggy Correctional Center

The North Carolina Department of Adult Correction is beginning the gradual closure of Craggy Correctional Center in Asheville, with the prison expected to close in late summer 2026.

The agency said about 250 incarcerated men will be transferred to other state prisons over the next several months. The prison’s 77 employees will be offered positions at other NCDAC facilities or work locations in western North Carolina, and the agency said it does not expect layoffs.

NCDAC cited Asheville’s high cost of living and hiring difficulties as factors. The agency said Craggy has hired only three correctional officers in the past two years and has operated with reduced staffing and less than half of its full offender population.

State Board names Bill Carver interim community college president

The N.C. State Board of Community Colleges has appointed William S. “Bill” Carver as interim president of the NC Community College System, effective July 1. Carver will succeed President Jeff Cox, who retires June 30 after more than 30 years of service to North Carolina.

Carver previously served as interim president of the system in 2020 and 2022. He also served as president of Nash Community College from 2005 to 2019.

Tom Looney, chair of the State Board of Community Colleges, said Carver brings experience during the transition.

“Bill Carver has proven himself more than capable in this role, and we are fortunate to have someone of his experience and dedication available to lead the System during this transition,” Looney said in the announcement.

The board has retained Buffkin Baker to lead the search for a permanent president.

Community college system lands $6 million for health care workforce programs

The NC Community College System announced $6 million in philanthropic commitments to expand its Boost student success model into health care workforce pipelines. The funding comes from the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust and AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina.

The system said the investments will support tuition assistance, textbook funding, monthly stipends, advisement and career development.

A $3 million Kenan Trust investment will expand Boost at Wake Technical Community College for students pursuing health care degrees. A separate $3 million commitment from AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina will support a Bridge pilot for up to 1,000 students pursuing short-term health care credentials, including certified nursing assistant, emergency medical technician and phlebotomy technician credentials.

The system said it expects to release a request for proposals this fall to select three colleges for the AmeriHealth Caritas Bridge pilot.

DEQ, Four County EMC begin $6.3 million grid resilience project

The N.C. Department of Environmental Quality and Four County Electric Membership Corporation have broken ground on a $6.3 million electric grid resilience project in Sampson County.

The project, called Project STEEL, will replace older wooden transmission poles with engineered steel structures. DEQ said the lines were originally constructed in 1968.

DEQ said its State Energy Office awarded Four County EMC $2.9 million for the project through the U.S. Department of Energy’s Resilience of the Electric Grid Formula Grants for States and Tribes. Four County EMC serves more than 36,000 members in Bladen, Duplin, Sampson, Pender, Columbus, Cumberland and Onslow counties.

State Energy Office Director Julie Woosley said the investments are intended to reduce power outage duration and improve grid reliability in eastern North Carolina.

Marine Fisheries Commission begins Atlantic bonito rulemaking

The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission voted to begin rulemaking for a five-fish recreational bag limit for Atlantic bonito.

The commission approved notice of text and the fiscal analysis for the proposed rule. The rule would also authorize the director of the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries to implement additional management measures by proclamation with prior commission consent.

The proposed rule is expected to be published in the N.C. Register in August, followed by a 60-day public comment period. If approved, the earliest effective date would be in 2027.

Revenue Department announces two state tax cases

The N.C. Department of Revenue announced two state tax criminal cases last week.

In Henderson County, Rachel Ann Rose, 50, of Asheville, was arrested May 11 and charged with four counts of felony embezzlement of state property, three counts of misdemeanor willful failure to file North Carolina corporation income tax returns and three counts of misdemeanor willful failure to file North Carolina individual income tax returns. NCDOR described the case as involving $1.2 million.

In Wake County, Donish Lee Uddin, 32, of Raleigh, was arrested May 11 and charged with six counts of embezzlement of state property, eight counts of misdemeanor willful failure to file North Carolina corporation income tax returns and five counts of misdemeanor willful failure to file North Carolina individual income tax returns.

Editor’s note: This article was drafted with the assistance of artificial intelligence and was reviewed and fact-checked by a member of the NC Political News editorial team before publication.

Elections board to consider campaign finance complaint and party building fund rules

Elections board to consider campaign finance complaint and party building fund rules